Most Active Stories
KUNM Call In Show
Mon January 28, 2013
Are Abortion Rights Under Attack In New Mexico?
KUNM Call In Show Thu. 1/31 8a: A bill introduced in the state legislature would make it a crime to coerce or facilitate an abortion with the intention of destroying evidence for a woman who has been the victim of rape or incest. The bill's sponsor, Representative Cathrynn Brown (R-Carlsbad), is defending the measure and says she has made changes in the language of the bill to make it clear she is trying to prevent rapists from coercing women to have abortions. What would a law like this mean for abortion rights in New Mexico? What about the other pieces of legislation that could impact women's reproductive choices? We'd like to hear from you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org, post your comments online, or call in live during the show.
- Dana Middleton, National Organization for Women Santa Fe Chapter
- Nancy Koenigsberg, Disability Rights New Mexico
2013 Regular Session Legislation:
- HB84 Unborn Victims of Violence Act (Larry Larrañaga, R-Abq)
- HB122 Woman's Right to Know Act (Nora Espinoza, R-Roswell)
- HB177 Parental Notification Rights Act (Alonzo Baldonado, R-Los Lunas)/ SB291 Parental Notification Act (John Ryan, R-Abq)
- HB206 Abortion As Tampering With Evidence in Some Cases (Cathrynn Brown, R-Carlsbad)