Most Active Stories
- PHOTOS: Lawyers Describe Fear Of Retaliation At Detention Center In Artesia
- Headlines: ABQ Marijuana Ballot Measure, Hazing Allegations At UNM And More...
- Immigrant Detention Center Not Approved By State For Childcare
- Headlines: Bishops Criticize Food Stamp Plan, Santa Fe Closer To Legal Marijuana And More...
- Headlines: Ballot May Not Fit ABQ Proposals, No Injuries From Gunfire Near UNM Campus And More...
-KUNM Studio Sessions
Mon April 28, 2014
Tonight we step back into the Studio A archives to excerpt this live recording of The Tribute Trio.
The Trio came together initially with a simple premise: to celebrate the great piano-led jazz trios of the 20th century they would go both broad and deep. In a year long series of concerts that criss-crossed New Mexico they played full shows in the spirit of one trio/composer per month.
The artists celebrated included Oscar Peterson, Lenny Tristano, Herbie Hancock, McCoy Tyner, Ray Brown and others. This performance was recorded early in the series in 2010 by Roman Garcia. The series finale featured original pieces -- "Dedications" -- based on all they'd absorbed along the way.
The Tribute Trio are:
John Rangel: piano
Michael Glynn: bass
Cal Haines: drums
The Tribute Trio have released two CDs of those originals. Find them at www.tributetrio.com.