Most Active Stories
- Searching For Answers On Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- LISTEN: All That "Other Stuff" On Your Ballot - Amendments, Advisory Questions, Bond Issues
- Headlines: Gila River Lawsuit, Virgin Galactic, APD Oversight Board, Plague...
- New Mexico's Education Performance Ranked Last In The Nation
- Headlines: AZ Behavioral Health Firm Not Viable, Gubernatorial Debate...
Fri May 24, 2013
Santa Fe Recognized For DWI Arrests
The Santa Fe Police Department is being recognized as the best in the state for working to stop drunk drivers.
The New Mexico Traffic Safety Division and Safer NM Now selected the department this month as No. 1 out of about 70 for the way it used Operation DWI grant money.
Lanny Maddox of Safer NM Now says the Santa Fe Police Department was selected based upon productivity, funding management, report submissions and overall participation in the ODWI program.
Since January, Santa Fe Police have arrested 151 drunk drivers and seized 175 vehicles. In 2012, SFPD made 399 drunken driving arrests and seized 503 vehicles.
As part of its award, the department has been given a new portable breathalyzer.