Most Active Stories
- Headlines: DOE Goes To WIPP, Future Of The Gila River And More...
- PHOTOS: Lawyers Describe Fear Of Retaliation At Detention Center In Artesia
- Headlines: UNM Reinstates Accused Players, Medical Marijuana Changes And More...
- Headlines: Bishops Criticize Food Stamp Plan, Santa Fe Closer To Legal Marijuana And More...
- Headlines: NM Sheriff Arrested, ABQ School Chief Resigns And More...
Thu April 5, 2012
Rabid Skunk Found in Mora County
The New Mexico Department of Health says the skunk was picked up by an officer with the Department of Game and Fish about 20 miles west of Wagon Mound.
It's the first time a rabid skunk has been found in Mora County since the state started keeping records in 1966. A rabid bat was found there last year.
The Departments of Health and Game and Fish are urging pet and livestock owners in Northwestern New Mexico to make sure their animals' vaccinations are up to date.
For more information on how to protect against rabies and for a map showing locations of confirmed cases this year, visit the Department of Health's rabies website.