KUNM Call In Show Thu. 6/19 8a: 277-5866 or toll-free 877-899-5866
Do you want to start keeping bees? Or would you rather just eat local honey and support local bee colonies from afar? It's National Pollinator Awareness Week and we'll hear from local beekeepers and educators about how to keep honey flowing and flowers pollinated.
We'd like to hear from you! Email email@example.com, post your comments online, or call in live during the show!
- Melanie Kirby, Zia Queen Bee Co.
- Jodi Hedderig, City of Albuquerque Open Space Division
- Kate Whealen, Sangre de Christo Beekeepers
- Sunday June 22, 2014
- 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Open Space Visitor Center, 6500 Coors Rd., Albuquerque
Dr. Larry Connor - 8 Steps to Sustainable Beekeeping and Queen Management
- Sunday July 19, 2014
- 10:00am - 3:30pm
- Noon Day Ministries, 101 Broadway Blvd NE, Albuquerque
- Who to call when you have bees and don't know what to do!
- How do you know what plants will attract and provide food for bees? Check out this poster from New Mexico State University and the NRCS Plant Materials Center or this detailed list of bee friendly plants.
- How to report a swarm of bees in Santa Fe
- New Mexico Native Bee Pollinator Project
- How to Prevent Bee Poisoning from Pesticides
- The Xerces Society Conservation Campaign to Bring Back the Pollinators
- Honey Bee Toolkit
- Farm To Table Pollinator Partners program, promoting locally based agriculture
- Watch NOVA to see how bees select a new home when they've outgrown their hive... and see what a swarm looks like!
Local beekeeping organizations: