KUNM Call In Show 1/26 8a: Lawmakers have converged on Santa Fe for a two-month session during which their most pressing problem will be fixing a big hole in the state’s budget. This week we’ll talk about the governor’s proposal to cut already trimmed state funding and ask state employees to pay more into their retirement funds. We'll hear from Democratic lawmakers who say it’s not fair to make workers pay more before eliminating tax breaks for the wealthy and big business.
- Rep. Patricia Lundstrom, D-Gallup, Chair of the House Appropriations and Finance Committee
- Sen. Steven Neville, R-Aztec, Ranking Member of the Senate Finance Committee
- Richard Anklam, of the New Mexico Tax Research Institute
- Dan Boyd, capitol bureau chief, Albuquerque Journal
- Martinez Puts Focus on the Economy in State of the State Address - New Mexico Business First
- New Mexico Dems Vow to Fight Gov Budget Plans—Associated Press
- Listen: Gov. Susana Martinez's State of the State address
- Democratic Senator: State Must Focus on Creating Jobs - The Santa Fe New Mexican
The People, Power and Democracy project examines ethics, transparency and accountability in state government. It's a collaborative, multi-media partnership between KUNM-FM, New Mexico PBS, New Mexico In Depth and the New Mexico News Port. The project is funded by the Thornburg Foundation and by contributions from KUNM listeners.