Let's Talk New Mexico 9/7 8a: The UNM Athletics Department is under intense scrutiny right now. The state auditor and attorney general are investigating the financial management of the department going back several years after news broke that the department covered expenses for some athletics boosters on a golf trip to Scotland. New Mexicans also learned this summer that fees for many suites at the Pit went uncollected for years.
This all comes amid budget cuts for the university and a proposal to cut some sports to end the department's deficit. Email firstname.lastname@example.org, call in live during the show, or tag us in a Tweet #letstalkNM.
- Are you a Lobos fan? Do you trust how the Athletics Department is being managed?
- Are you a former UNM athlete? What's your take on this news?
- UNM students pay fees to support the Lobos. Should university leaders re-examine spending on sports?
- Chris Vallejos, Associate Vice President at UNM
- Geoff Grammer, staff writer at the Albuquerque Journal
- Gabe Gallegos, UNM ungraduate student, former Communications Director with ASUNM
- Daniel Libit, journalist with NM Fishbowl
- UNM hires LSU’s Eddie Nuñez as new athletic director - Albuquerque Journal
- UNM athletics still budgeting with optimism despite track record - Albuquerque Journal
- Investigations, resignation tax UNM athletics - Albuquerque Journal