Most Active Stories
- Immigrant Detention Center Not Approved By State For Childcare
- Shifting Gears On Bike Safety
- Mothers Fight Stigma Of Drug Addiction
- Headlines: Ballot May Not Fit ABQ Proposals, No Injuries From Gunfire Near UNM Campus And More...
- Headlines: Santa Fe Decriminalizes Pot, Police Shooting Contest Opposed...
Native America Calling
Wed September 18, 2013
Let’s Go Ricing
Fri. 9/20 11a: September is National Rice Month and we’re celebrating it with a trip to the upper Midwest. The grain is ripe for the picking and many Natives are heading out on the lakes with their canoes and flails.
Minnesota also opens its lakes to non-Native ricers who buy permits for the harvest. However, the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa is limiting its annual harvest on its five ricing lakes to enrolled tribal members.
Should harvesting wild rice be open for everyone who wants to carry on this fall tradition? What does ricing mean to you?