Most Active Stories
- Dairy Workers Accused Of Animal Abuse
- Will Work For Food?: SNAP And Work Requirements
- Headlines: Court OKs Pot Question, Digitizing Newspapers At UNM...
- Headlines: Alleged Animal Abuse At NM Dairy, S.F. County Sues Over Ballot...
- Headlines: Carlsbad Flooding, Clovis Police Arrest, Gov. Race Heating Up,Ex-APD Sergeant On Trial
Native America Calling
Wed September 18, 2013
Let’s Go Ricing
Fri. 9/20 11a: September is National Rice Month and we’re celebrating it with a trip to the upper Midwest. The grain is ripe for the picking and many Natives are heading out on the lakes with their canoes and flails.
Minnesota also opens its lakes to non-Native ricers who buy permits for the harvest. However, the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa is limiting its annual harvest on its five ricing lakes to enrolled tribal members.
Should harvesting wild rice be open for everyone who wants to carry on this fall tradition? What does ricing mean to you?