Influenza is the 8th leading cause of death in the United States, according to the CDC.
UNM Hospital provides free flu shots and even drive-thru clinics to help minimize the spread of the virus. Drivers are able to pull into a parking lot and get in line. Medical student volunteers then walk to their cars with syringes and paperwork.
"I've been doing this for...gosh, I don't know, ever since it started," said Larry Hatfield. He's been getting his shot delivered through his car window for many years. "It's convenient, it's easy, somewhat simpler than having to go to your doctor's office to make an appointment and wait to get a shot."
It is still too early to tell how effective this year’s vaccine will be, but it will help fight against three strains of influenza.
If you want to get a flu shot without getting out of the car, the last drive-thru clinic is Saturday October 17, 2015, from 8 a.m to 2 p.m at the UNM Northeast Heights Clinic.
The remaining clinics dates are:
- 10/17/15: Lobos Love Pink Homecoming Game – UNM Stadium parking lot, 2 p.m. – 5 p.m., adults only
- 10/19/15: Vein and Cosmetic Clinic, 7007 Wyoming NE, 9 a.m.– 4 p.m., ages 6 months and up
- 10/24/15: UNM Center for Life, 4700 Jefferson NE, 9 a.m. – noon, ages 6 years and up
- 10/24/15: Southwest Mesa Clinic, 301 Unser NW, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., ages 6 months and up
- 10/31/15: Lobo Care and Senior Health, 1101-4A Medical Arts Ave. NE, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., ages 6 months and up
- 11/7/15: Southeast Heights Clinic, 8200 Central SE, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., 8200 Central SE, ages 6 months and up