KUNM Call In Show 2/23 8a: Public education is one of the largest expenses for the state. We'll compare out our state’s funding model to other states across the country and debate legislation introduced this year to address school funding. Where do you think the state should invest in education? How would you measure quality in public education? We'd like to hear from you, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call in live during the show.
- Dr. Meriah Heredia-Griego, director of the UNM Center for Education Policy Research
- Ian Esquibel, executive director of the Learning Alliance New Mexico
- Matt Grubs, repoter for Santa Fe Reporter
- Senator William Soules
- Charles Bowyer, executive director of National Education Association-New Mexico
Additional Reading & Resources:
- New Mexico Public Education Department
- Independent study in 2008 on the school funding formula
- National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL): School Finance
The People, Power and Democracy project examines ethics, transparency and accountability in state government. The project is funded by the Thornburg Foundation and by contributions from KUNM listeners.