Fri September 13, 2013
Flash Flood Safety Tips
By KUNM News
The National Weather Service advises the following when flash floods are possible:
- Never ever attempt to drive over a flooded road. Nearly 50 percent of all flash flood fatalities involve vehicles. Saving your life can be as easy as turning your car around when you see water on the road.
- If you live in a flood prone area have an evacuation plan. In a flash flood seek high ground quickly. Don't waste time trying to save personal property. Act quickly! Your margin of safety may be counted in seconds.
- Stay out of arroyos, draws and normally dry washes.
- Never allow children to play near high water, storm drains or ditches. Hidden dangers often lie beneath the water.
- Do not camp or park along streams or washes, particularly when threatening water conditions exist.
- Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize flood dangers.