Most Active Stories
- Headlines: Navajo Settlement, Juntos New Mexico Petition, Rodella, Jewish Survey...
- First Ever Sex Week At UNM
- Headlines: Sheriff Convicted, EPA Approves Energy Plan, Navajo Supreme Court Weighs In On Election
- Dairy Workers Accused Of Animal Abuse
- Headlines: Rain And The NM Drought, Satan Worship, Rodella, Gas Prices In Four Corners
KUNM Call In Show
Wed August 21, 2013
The Challenges of Language Diversity in New Mexico
KUNM Call In Show 8/22 8a: New Mexico has been in the news recently as a result of language diversity issues and events.
The state Supreme Court ruled recently that non-English speakers can be jurors. The national chain Whole Foods Markets revised its language policy in the wake of employee suspensions in Albuquerque. High school athletes were warned and penalized for speaking Spanish during competition. And a civil rights complaint has been filed against the NM Department of Workforce Solutions for providing essential online registration documents only in English.
Can New Mexico be a bellwether for its handling of these issues when they arise? We'll look at organizational challenges, legal requirements and aspirations involving language diversity within our state. We'd like to hear from you! Email firstname.lastname@example.org, post your comments online, or call in live during the show. 277-5866 (locally in Albuquerque) 1-877-899-5866 (toll-free) Guests: