KUNM Call In Show 9/15 8a: A lot of New Mexicans don't vote in general elections - often nearly half the people who can legally vote here don't. And the stakes are high this November with a hotly contested presidential election at the top of the ticket. We’ll talk about why so many New Mexicans don't vote. Is it hard for you to make it to the polls? Are you turned off by the candidates that you have to choose from? Or are you ineligible to vote?
We want to hear from you! Email email@example.com or call in live during the show.
- Laurie Weahkee, executive director of the Native American Voters Alliance
- Tomas Martinez, executive director of La Plazita Institute
- Suzanne Schmidt, president of the League of Women Voters of Santa Fe County
- Andy Winnegar, a consultant who assists the Southwest ADA Center
- Low Voter Turnout is Becoming the Norm. What Can We Do About It?—NMPolitics.net
- Official Worries About Poor Election Turnout—Ruidoso News
- Contested Dem Primary Drives Up New Mexico Turnout—KRQE News 13
- Evidence-Based Voter Registration Reforms: Policy Options to Help Increase Turnout in New Mexico—A white paper by UNM political science professor Gabriel Sanchez.
- Common Cause New Mexico Election Modernization Recommendations—Common Cause NM
Where do I vote? How do I update my registration? How can I look at a sample ballot? How do I report a problem? Get help with all of these questions and more from the Secretary of State's office.
Voting on judges: The New Mexico Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission will release on Sept. 28 its recommendations for which judges should be retained. Find them here.