Most Active Stories
- Voices Behind The Vote: Who's Talking About Immigrants Held In Artesia?
- LISTEN: All That "Other Stuff" On Your Ballot - Amendments, Advisory Questions, Bond Issues
- Voices Behind The Vote: Climate Change Drives Conservative To Polls
- Headlines: Missing Evidence, Min Wage in Las Cruces, Pot Bust, Death Sentence Appeals...
- Headlines: Navajo Nation Rethinks Election, Molotov At ABQ Mosque, Unemployment Fraud In NM...
KUNM Call In Show
Tue July 22, 2014
What's At The Root Of Today's Border Migrant Crisis?
President Obama and Congress are struggling to make progress on immigration reform as a surge of children are arriving at the U.S. border, many on their own, after long journeys from Central America.
This week we'll tackle a discussion of the economic and political causes of this mass migration—and the impacts on New Mexico communities seeing an influx of migrants.
We'd like to hear from you! Email firstname.lastname@example.org, post your comments online or via Twitter @KUNMNews, or call in live during the show.
Host: Gwyneth Doland
- Beatrice Villegas, Director of the Center for Refugee Settlement and Support, Catholic Charities
- Rebecca Kitson, Albuquerque attorney specializing in immigration law, instructor at the UNM School of Law
- Dr. William D. Stanley, Chair of the UNM Political Science Department
Resources & Articles:
- Pew Research Center Poll: “Surge of Central American Children Roils U.S. Immigration Debate”
- Winthrop Quigley commentary, The Albuquerque Journal: “Past U.S. policies helped fuel immigration crisis”
- Gen. John F. Kelly op-ed: "Central America drug war a dire threat to national security”
- New York Times: “Immigrant Surge Rooted in Law to Curb Child Trafficking”
- Santa Fe New Mexican: “Detention center puts immigration spotlight on New Mexico town”
- Associated Press: “Immigrants in New Mexico deported to Central America”
- Associated Press; “Artesia immigrant center may open for year, housing hundreds of mothers, children from Central America"