Local News
10:04 am
Tue November 27, 2012

US Justice Department to Launch Probe into Albuquerque Police

 The U.S. Department of Justice announced today that it has launched a full investigation into the Albuquerque Police Department’s use of deadly force.

At a press conference, U.S Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights Thomas Perez said the investigations focus will be to examine the department’s policies and practices.

Since 2010, there have been 25 APD officer involved shootings resulting in 17 fatalities. Perez said after a preliminary review begun last year his office has determined that a more complete investigation is needed. 

“We have concluded that a full Civil Rights investigation is warranted to determine whether APD engages in a pattern of practices of violations of the Constitution or federal law. In particular the investigation will focus on use of force by APD, including but not limited to deadly force.”

Also attending the conference was Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz who has headed the department since 2005. He said his main goal is to increase police standards and build public trust again.

"It is a challenge to bring the department to the highest level possible and to restore that community trust that I want to have back"

Similar investigations in Seattle and Portland lasted about a year.

 

Tags: