Most Active Stories
- Headlines: Navajo Settlement, Juntos New Mexico Petition, Rodella, Jewish Survey...
- Dairy Workers Accused Of Animal Abuse
- First Ever Sex Week at UNM
- Headlines: Sheriff Convicted, EPA Approves Energy Plan, Navajo Supreme Court Weighs In On Election
- Special Coverage: NM Secretary Of State, Attorney Gereral Candidates Face Off
Thu March 7, 2013
A Portrait of King Sunny Ade
Fri. 3/8 10p: Many fans in America first got hooked on Afropop through the landmark 1982-83 tour by Nigeria's King Sunny Ade and his African Beats: the propulsive polyrhythms of traditional drums mixed with sophisticated guitar arrangements and pedal steel.
Topped by graceful choreography and the beaming presence of the "Chairman" himself. Totally intoxicating.
In this program, we travel to Lagos talk to people there who help us fill in the picture of King Sunny Ade's earlier career in the 1960s and 1970s. KSA also granted Afropop Worldwide a three hour interview. We'll hear his stories and hear some classic recordings.
Featured in the show are highlights from a sublime acoustic concert Chairman gave at Joe's Pub in New York City.