Most Active Stories
- LISTEN: All That "Other Stuff" On Your Ballot - Amendments, Advisory Questions, Bond Issues
- Searching For Answers On Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- Headlines: Gila River Lawsuit, Virgin Galactic, APD Oversight Board, Plague...
- New Mexico's Education Performance Ranked Last In The Nation
- Headlines: AZ Behavioral Health Firm Not Viable, Gubernatorial Debate...
Fri May 31, 2013
NM High Court Orders Back Pay For State Workers
The New Mexico Supreme Court has ruled that thousands of state workers covered by union contracts are owed back pay and raises totaling millions of dollars.
The state's highest court on Thursday affirmed a Court of Appeals' decision that says about 11,000 state workers are entitled to retroactive pay increases because former Gov. Bill Richardson's administration didn't follow union contracts in distributing money provided by the Legislature about five years ago.
Gov. Susana Martinez's administration has estimated the ruling will cost the state more than $20 million.