Most Active Stories
KUNM News Update
Mon October 14, 2013
Monday News Roundup: Amber Alert Canceled For 5 Boys From NM Youth Camp
Amber Alert Canceled For 5 Boys From NM Youth Camp - The Associated Press
An Amber Alert has been canceled for five teenage boys who authorities reported missing from a rural New Mexico ranch for troubled youth Friday.
New Mexico state police said the five boys - ages 13-17 - were physically accounted for Sunday. Four other teenage boys who also were a part of the group that authorities originally said was missing were found safe and were back their parents Saturday.
A spokesman for the State Children, Youth and Families Department said authorities couldn't consider the boys safe until they saw them.
Meanwhile, an attorney for the ranch had maintained all were safely with their parents.
Authorities executed a search warrant at the Tierra Blanca High Country Youth Program near Hillsboro last week when they discovered the teens weren't there. Authorities are investigating claims of abuse at the ranch.
Major Albuquerque Construction Project To Begin - The Associated Press
Barricades will be going up Monday evening in a major Albuquerque traffic corridor to be in place before Tuesday's start of an interchange construction project.
The state Department of Transportation says there will be multiple lane restrictions for the reconstruction of the interchange of Paseo Del Norte and I-25 .
According to the department, there will be traffic restrictions on westbound Paseo Del Norte, Jefferson Street, the southbound I-25 frontage road and the I-25 northbound off-ramp at Paseo Del Norte.
The department says the interchange reconstruction is intended to improve traffic flow, safety and air quality.
The department is advising motorists to allow extra time in the mornings and evenings during the first few days of construction.
Navajo Nation Council Advancing Energy Policy - The Associated Press
FARMINGTON, N.M. (AP) — The Navajo Nation Council is advancing a pro-coal energy policy that tribal President Ben Shelly says is a condition for him to support the purchase of the Navajo Mine.
The Daily Times reports that the policy states that coal and coal-fired plants make up a significant portion of the tribe's economy and its revenue. It also calls for the tribe to support clean coal technology.
Two council committees have passed the energy policy in the week since Shelly announced his position.
Council members also are advancing a bill to provide $4.1 million for a tribal entity for completing negotiations and other initial costs associated with buying Navajo Mine from BHP Billiton.
The full council will consider both during a special session beginning Oct. 16 in Window Rock.
Jemez Pueblo Appeals Dismissal Of Land Claim - The Associated Press
Jemez Pueblo is challenging a federal judge's dismissal of a claim it filed to the Valles Caldera National Preserve in northern New Mexico.
Pueblo Gov. Vincent Toya says the tribe must fight to protect sacred land. The tribe filed a lawsuit last year seeking the return of 89,000 acres.
A federal judge dismissed the lawsuit, saying the federal government did not consent to being sued.
The pueblo's appeal was filed in the 10th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals.
The preserve is home to vast grasslands, the remnants of one of North America's few super volcanoes, and one of New Mexico's most famous elk herds. The board of trustees has said it will work with the pueblo to ensure the cultural history, spiritual significance and the landscape are preserved.