KUNM Call In Show 2/19 8a:
When the New Mexico legislature convenes in Santa Fe, lobbyists flock to the Roundhouse to pitch their clients' issues and legislation. Often those pitches involve free food, drinks and other gifts.
We'll look at the industries that spend the most money to convince lawmakers to support their ideas. We'll also ask how lobbyists affect which bills are passed and which measures stall.
We'd like to hear from you! Email firstname.lastname@example.org, post your comments online or call in live during the show.
- Viki Harrison, Common Cause New Mexico
- Steven Robert Allan, American Civil Liberties Union New Mexico
- Steve Terrell, Capitol Reporter, The Santa Fe New Mexican
New Mexico In-Depth's Lobbyist Spending and Employment Databases:
- Data Table: New Mexico Lobbyist Expenses (showing lobbyists' employers)
- Data Table: New Mexico Lobbyists' Detailed Expenses
Today's show is part of a reporting partnership between New Mexico In Depth, KUNM and NMPBS, People, Power and Democracy, that attempts to pull back the curtain on how the New Mexico Legislature works and, in some cases, doesn’t. It's funded by the Thornburg Foundation and the Loeks Family Fund.