Most Active Stories
- Headlines: Navajo Settlement, Juntos New Mexico Petition, Rodella, Jewish Survey...
- Dairy Workers Accused Of Animal Abuse
- First Ever Sex Week at UNM
- Headlines: Sheriff Convicted, EPA Approves Energy Plan, Navajo Supreme Court Weighs In On Election
- Special Coverage: NM Secretary Of State, Attorney Gereral Candidates Face Off
Wed November 6, 2013
Lebanon 3: Beirut Today
Fri. 11/8 10p: Afropop concludes its Hip Deep series on Lebanon with a musical survey of contemporary
It’s a complex, balkanized world where adventurous art musicians extend the hybrid
forms of Lebanon’s golden era, alternative rock bands engage a globalized youth audience,
and regional rappers go political while connecting rap with ancient Arabic poetic traditions.
We’ll meet rappers and rock bands (from The Kordz, to Soapkills, to Mashrou Leila), sample
innovative art musicians like Rima Khcheich and Mike Massy, and get the insights of Arab hip
hop author Jackson Allers, and ethnomusicologist Thomas Burkhalter, author of a major study of
Beirut musicians who grew up during the Lebanese civil war (1975-1990).