A former New Mexico warden accused in a lawsuit of thwarting an FBI inquiry into an alleged rape of an inmate by a guard is returning back to work.
New Mexico Corrections Department Secretary Gregg Marcantel announced Thursday that an internal investigation found that Anthony Romero acted appropriately as warden of the Central New Mexico Corrections Facility in Los Lunas during a federal investigation into the alleged rape.
Marcantel said Romero, who was temporarily reassigned, immediately will return to his position as adult prison's deputy director.
Last month, a former inmate's attorney filed a civil rights lawsuit alleging a high-ranking prison guard repeatedly raped the inmate. The lawsuit says Romero revealed to others that an undercover agent was visiting the prison to look into the allegations.