Most Active Stories
- Dairy Workers Accused Of Animal Abuse
- Will Work For Food?: SNAP And Work Requirements
- Headlines: Court OKs Pot Question, Digitizing Newspapers At UNM...
- Headlines: Alleged Animal Abuse At NM Dairy, S.F. County Sues Over Ballot...
- Headlines: Carlsbad Flooding, Clovis Police Arrest, Gov. Race Heating Up,Ex-APD Sergeant On Trial
Mon December 24, 2012
Gun Sales Rise
Gun dealers near Farmington are reporting a sharp rise in sales.
The Farmington Daily Times reports that the most popular weapons being sold are military-style rifles similar to the AR-15 variant used by a gunman who killed 26 people, including 20 children, at a Connecticut elementary school on Dec. 14.
The shooting has brought calls from some people for tighter restrictions on guns.
President Barack Obama has tapped Vice President Joe Biden to lead an informal task force on gun violence in the aftermath of the Connecticut massacre.
Gun enthusiasts are reacting to the possibility of new federal restrictions.
Sales were rising at Hi-Power Sports in Bloomfield.
Owner Steve King says his store sold all its AR-15 and AK-47 type rifles and attributes some of the increase to holiday buyers.