KUNM Call In Show Thu. 6/4 8a:
June is LGBTQ Pride Month. Acceptance of gay individuals and families has improved in many communities in recent years, but young LGBTQ people still face stigma and violence for expressing their sexuality. According to the CDC, LGBTQ youth report high levels of bullying and substance abuse. Gay, lesbian and transgender young people are also more likely to experience homelessness and attempt suicide. How are schools, parents and community groups addressing this issue in New Mexico? What can be done to create a sense of pride in all LGBTQ youth?
- Trevor Project 1-866-488-7386
- National Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-TALK
- Trans Lifeline 1-877-565-8860
- Robyn Weekooty, high school junior
- Amber Royster, Executive Director, Equality New Mexico
- Erin Northern, Co-Chair, GLESN Albuquerque