Most Active Stories
- Dairy Workers Accused Of Animal Abuse
- Will Work For Food?: SNAP And Work Requirements
- Headlines: Court OKs Pot Question, Digitizing Newspapers At UNM...
- Headlines: Alleged Animal Abuse At NM Dairy, S.F. County Sues Over Ballot...
- Headlines: Flash Floods Possible, Majority Favors Higher Minimum Wage...
Fri May 24, 2013
Germany's Beer Makers Come Against Fracking
Originally published on Fri May 24, 2013 6:01 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Renee Montagne.
Fracking may have met its match in Germany, where beer makers have lined up against it. Fracking, of course, is a way of bringing up natural gas by pumping water and chemicals into the ground. Germany's powerful beer industry is concerned fracking would pollute groundwater.
Half of Germany's 1,300 brewers have their own wells, and say the pure water is the essence of their famous beers. And if there's one thing Germans take seriously, it's beer.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.