Most Active Stories
- Hearing Examiner Rejects PNM's Plan For Coal
- Live Broadcast "Fiestas 2015"
- Headlines: ABQ City Council Withdraws Support For PNM Plan, Reduced Speed Limit On County Roads...
- Headlines: Thousands Mark Anniversary At Trinity Site, Oil & Gas Industry PR Campaign...
- Policing For Profit: Critics Say Civil Asset Forfeiture Is Unfair
Sat August 2, 2014
Downtown Albuquerque Flooded
UPDATE 8/2 8:30a - The National Weather Service reported 2.67 inches of rain fell at the UNM campus in Albuquerque as of 12:30a Saturday, according to The Albuquerque Journal.
The Albuquerque Fire Department said in a statement that 8-10 people were rescued from the high waters in the city with no injuries and some mild exposure concerns.
A sink hole was created at the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue and Broadway Boulevard.
Motorists are being cautioned to stay away from the area.
Heavy rainfall caused authorities to close Central Ave. at Broadway in downtown Albuquerque Friday night.
The Albuquerque Journal reports water was flowing several feet deep on the sidewalks along Central Ave. Three people were rescued from cars caught in the flooding.
City officials recommend motorist avoid the area and use caution as manhole covers that have been pushed up by water will leave uncovered holes in some streets.
Gauges measured 0.67 inches of rain in an hour at the Albuquerque Sunport.