Most Active Stories
- Hearing Examiner Rejects PNM's Plan For Coal
- Live Broadcast "Fiestas 2015"
- Headlines: ABQ City Council Withdraws Support For PNM Plan, Reduced Speed Limit On County Roads...
- Policing For Profit: Critics Say Civil Asset Forfeiture Is Unfair
- Headlines: Thousands Mark Anniversary At Trinity Site, Oil & Gas Industry PR Campaign...
New Mexico People Places and Ideas
Mon October 1, 2012
Desert America : Northern New Mexico Through the Eyes of Author Ruben Martinez
Fri. 10/5 8 am: Ruben Martinez is a journalist, author, musician, and professor of literature and writing at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles. In Desert America he writes of his time in Northern New Mexico - a world of "outrageous wealth and devastating poverty, sublime beauty and ecological ruin". His wife to be, a medical anthropologist was preparing her dissertation on the social and historical dimensions of heroin addiction, suggested the move. It’s therefore understandable that they chose the Espanola Valley, which leads the nation in the rate of heroin addiction and death by overdose. What Martinez’ wife did not know was that Martinez himself, was a heroin addict who went along with her suggestion in order to “get clean”. Join host Stephen Spitz as we talk about Hispanos of Northern New Mexico along with history, poverty and drug addiction in the Espanola Valley.