Most Active Stories
- Headlines: Navajo Settlement, Juntos New Mexico Petition, Rodella, Jewish Survey...
- Dairy Workers Accused Of Animal Abuse
- First Ever Sex Week at UNM
- Headlines: Sheriff Convicted, EPA Approves Energy Plan, Navajo Supreme Court Weighs In On Election
- Special Coverage: NM Secretary Of State, Attorney Gereral Candidates Face Off
Thu April 18, 2013
Big Night in Little Haiti, Miami Style
Fri. 4/19 10p: Big Night in Little Haiti is a lively monthly party showcasing top Haitian musical talent that happens in the courtyard of the Haitian Cultural Center in Miami’s Little Haiti.
BNLH and our local affiliate WDNA invited Georges Collinet and the Afropop crew down to celebrate our 25th anniversary on public radio. What a blast!
You’ll hear highlights the classic compas Magnum Band featuring Dadou Pasquet on guitar and vocals. Fortified by a punchy three-piece horn section, the band pleased the diverse crowd with standards from their 37 years of music making.
Opening up for Magnum Band was Papy Joe le Twoubadou, leading a trio that brought to life the troubadour tradition in Haitian music in a folksy set of ballads and gently swinging songs.
And for the finale the boisterous local Rara Lakay paraded through the neighborhood sounding the signature tin horns and percussion section—metal pipes, snare and hand drums. Plus stories from the artists. Join us!