Most Active Stories
- Headlines: Navajo Settlement, Juntos New Mexico Petition, Rodella, Jewish Survey...
- Dairy Workers Accused Of Animal Abuse
- First Ever Sex Week at UNM
- Headlines: Sheriff Convicted, EPA Approves Energy Plan, Navajo Supreme Court Weighs In On Election
- Special Coverage: NM Secretary Of State, Attorney Gereral Candidates Face Off
Fri June 17, 2011
Afropop Soundsystem 3: Nu-Whirled Music
Fri. 6/24 at 10pm: Afropop Worldwide takes us into the world of the globalistas, a far-flung grouping of polyglot hipsters, bass freaks, and digital beatsmiths who rally around the sounds of the 21st century dancefloor - rhythms such as Angolan kuduro, Brazilian funk carioca, reggaeton and dancehall, Indian bhangra and Argentine electro-cumbia. Featuring interviews with DJ Rupture and Wayne Marshall.
Ethnomusicologist/D/Blogger/Writer Wayne Marshall calls this music World Music 2.0, highlighting how digital production technology and the internet has created new, younger, international audiences for music from other places. Marshall will guide us through the sonic circuitry of global bass music and show us why old assumptions about "world" music might no longer apply. We'll also speak with DJ Rupture, Dutty Artz founder and visionary world mashup artist, and, of course, listen to some ground shaking tracks from across the beat-o-sphere.